03 Jul When do you know it’s time for a new AC unit
One of the most common questions we receive from customers is when is it time to purchase a new AC unit versus repairing it. If your AC unit is 7 years or older then you might want to consider purchasing a new one. Age of the system is one factor that determines whether you need a new system but there might be other factors to consider. Below is a list of other reasons you might be due for a new AC unit.
You’ve noticed weaker, limited airflow.
- The unit might be running but it is not cooling. An AC unit that is running smoothly will have a constant airflow throughout the home. Systems that have been compromised can have difficulties pushing the air through the vents and into the home.
- Your energy bill is going through the roof.
- There is a typical spike in energy bills in the summer due to hotter temperatures but if your energy bill is higher than usual it might be your system. Did you know that an AC unit accounts for 60% of your energy bill? It is using the most energy in your home.
- Your AC is making weird noises.
- Do you hear squeaking coming from your ac unit? What about chattering or grinding sounds? These types of sounds are not normal and shouldn’t be dismissed due to an aging system. If you’ve noticed changes in how your system sounds, it is not functioning properly.
- Your unit has not had a maintenance check.
- It is also very important to have the unit maintained twice a year. Neglecting necessary maintenance ensures a steady decline in air conditioning performance while energy use steadily increases.
Buying a new A/C checklist:
- Call your friends at Quarter Moon Plumbing & AC to come out and perform an on-site consultation. We will evaluate your current system and help determine your home’s unique cooling needs.
- Selecting the right size for your unit matters. The most common mistake is purchasing a unit that is too small or too big. This will greatly impact the temperature of your home. Our HVAC professionals will perform a load calculation, which is the industry’s method of determining what size AC unit your home needs before buying a new one.
- Save money long-term with an energy-efficient unit. Select the highest Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, or SEER, which is a measurement of the amount of energy needed to deliver the proper amount of cooling. All models sold in the U.S. are required to have a SEER of no less than 13. With the climate in San Antonio being very hot and humid it is especially important to choose a unit with the highest SEER affordable since it will be running the majority of the time.
We’re happy to help with the AC buying process or answer any additional questions you might have. Give us a call for any of your AC needs or if you would like us to come out and inspect your current system!
The best way to get a hold of us is to give us a call at 210-651-5899 or visit us at quartermoontx.com. We are also on social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) so you can follow us and send a message there and we’ll get with you as soon as we can.